Sunday, September 7, 2014

Capstone - The Experimental Narrative

This week I read a chapter from a book titled "Writing a Short Film" that was talking about the experimental narrative. Since I plan on making my video primarily experimental, this was a great read for me. In the chapter, the author talks about how making an experimental film is similar and different than making any other kind of film. The author even adds a whole section that only talks about the distinct characteristics of an experimental film. Some of these characteristics include non-linearity, a distinct style, and the abstraction of character. Non-linearity had always been one of my main ideas when first starting to think about this project. A distinct style was also always in mind, but reading more about how to make it really stick out has proved to be very helpful to me. What really struck me in this article was the section about the abstraction of character. I never planned on having a character in my project, but after reading about this more in experimental films, I really want to add a character into the mix. The section in the book explains that by adding a character, they can be used as a direct vessel for the ideas of the director. This really intrigued me and I definitely plan on adding in some abstract shots of a character that will guide the film along.

No comments:

Post a Comment